Friday, July 6, 2012

Little Bee Creations Menstrual Pads Review


Throughout my journey for the best reusable cloth menstrual pad I ran across a seller who offered some options at a very low cost. Little Bee Creations was my place to be first and foremost, and I was super excited to make an order from this work at home mom named Laura.

So, I ordered a set of three heavy flow pads from her and a set of 3 long overnight pads. I opted for the PUL layer inside of them to help from leaks soaking through the fabric and onto my skirts. I had the thought to buy 3 pads without PUL and 3 with so that I could layer them but had decided against it at the last moment.

Little Bee Creations had so many different fabrics to choose from. Some were very cute and childish to make periods a little more friendly, while others were made to hide the red smears and make you feel like there wasn't anything happening down there that didn't happen every day anyway. It was easy to select 6 different fabrics, but there were so many to choose from that I almost purchased another set of 3 just for the prints!

I was excited to get these pads in the mail. They came relatively quickly and the flannel was very soft. The pads were obviously handmade though since they had some minor defects with the pad lining up with the wings, but it wasn't so much that I was disappointed.

The funny thing is that the day these pads arrived was the day I started my period. I snapped one of these pads around my panties and told my husband that I was a bit nervous since I had never worn fabric pads before. He had noted that it sounded very natural and comfortable to him. He was even excited for me and inquired if they were comfortable--oh, they were!

The pads aren't "sticky" like reusable pads. They also didn't rub me into a maxi pad rash that I had previously experienced. At times I had forgotten I had one on. There was no crunchy smooshing sounds when I stood or sat.  There was less odor than usual. I fell in love with Little Bee Creations.

I came back to reality when I woke up from my night's sleep and had blood on my panties. Yes, the flow had escaped through the seam that was created to hold the actual pad to the wings. The spillage had seeped through these tiny holes, avoiding the PUL altogether, and stained the back of the pad as well as my underwear and sheets. I was thoroughly disappointed in Little Bee Creations.

I thought that perhaps I had positioned the pad incorrectly. I thought that perhaps I had misused it somehow or was bleeding heavier than usual. I attempted again, and checked an hour after putting the pad on. The same thing had happened! Already! The blood seeped through those tiny, tiny punctures of thread and had gotten to my underwear.

This being said, I probably won't be purchasing any more Little Bee Creations cloth menstrual pads. They are super adorable. They are super comfortable. The owner is so very nice and I was desperately to support her efforts. I can't live with bloody panties all of the time though. I can't. I just cannot do that to myself.

So, I wouldn't really recommend Little Bee Creations. I really would love to talk to Laura about it and see if she has another way of sewing these together so that this doesn't happen in the future, but I feel like that might be a slap in the face to her. I love what she does and her efforts. I just can't live with the products.

Oh well. At least the experience encouraged me to try more brands since I couldn't continue to use this particular one. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Little Bee Creations is going to be the cheapest reusable pad you will find. They aren't my favorite brand, but they are cheap and you can get a good amount of them for your money. I agree though that she has some cute fabric choices, but flannel is not my favorite for the summer/warmer weather. I'd suggest just to use the Little Bee Creations as a "back up" when your better pads are in the wash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhm.. Im a very heavy bleeder, and the night time/postpartem pads work better for those long hours during the night. I have Luaras med to heavy flow set, and they are perfect. But who knows I just baught mine, maybe she has changed something between my purchases and yours. I <3<3<3 little bee creations.
    Kristina Barajas!;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. any chance you have done a review on her new version? i know they changed a LOT. the pad is no longer sewn through the pul, and all of the absorbent layers are hidden now. everyone who hated them before love them now! (unfortunately it is still all flannel topped though)

    ReplyDelete

I'd really love to hear your opinions, ideas, suggestions, experiences, and thoughts about reusable products. Please share with us!