Friday, June 22, 2012

Lunette Reusable Menstrual Cup Review


Through my search for a reusable menstrual product that wouldn't harm my body I found reusable, medical-grade silicon cups. These cups can be inserted in to the vagina, much like a tampon, to collect--rather than absorb--a woman's menstrual flow. This thought intrigued me, to say the least.

I have stayed away from disposable tampons like the plague. So, when I heard about reusable cups it almost scared me that someone would put something like that into their bodies for up to 12 hours. I spent a lot of time reading about the safety of cups before deciding that they seemed okay to try for a time or two. It was like buying a few packs of pads anyway, and they claims were that the cup could be used for years upon years by just washing it regularly and boiling it once a month.

I decided upon the Lunette cup for a variety of reasons. The first being that it seemed to have the most positive reviews by women on Amazon. Women there had compared it to other menstrual cups that they had tried, and I liked the fact that I didn't have to try 3 or 4 brands to make this type of correlation.

I also chose the Lunette because it held more fluid than other cups. I'm a heavy bleeder and, to be quite honest, sometimes I don't have time to spend in the bathroom tending to aunt flo. I thought it would be really nice to be able to use a cup a little longer and not have to worry about always standing by at a restroom.

Lastly, I chose the Lunette because it came in a variety of colors at the time. There was a blue, pink/red, green, and orange. I thought it was kind of cute to spice things up and go with the orange colored kind. It made having a period just a little more enjoyable than usual.

So, I tried out my Lunette and ended up loving it. Insertion seemed a little tricky at first but by the third time I had it down. It collected my flow, didn't leak, and I could even forget it was in at times since I couldn't feel it.

The only drawback that I've had is that the suction of the cup has caused a tinge of pain when popping into place. I can feel the cup create it's vacuum inside of me and slide upward onto my cervix for security after insetting it. This can be uncomfortable, and, for that reason, I haven't been as diligent  with using my reusable cup as I had hoped.

I do use my cup every month on my cycle because it's more convenient than carrying 8 pads in my purse while at work. Sometimes I really am just aggravated at the suction thought and avoid it and, thus, don't use my cup all of the time during my cycle.

I'd say that my cup is most handy when I am at work and at night. I work 10 hour shifts and I only need to change my cup 2 or 3 times during the day without worrying about any leakage. At night I can wear my cup all night as long as I change it right before I lay down and right when I wake. This has stopped me from ruining countless numbers of sheets, pajama pants, and panties from the dreaded up-your-butt leakage.

So, all in all I have taken a liking to my Lunette. The only trouble I have is with the suction part, and, really, I can deal with that during my cycle. Unlike other women, it hasn't lessened my cycle or caused my cramping to go away. I sure wish it would have, but my cycle seems about the same. I'd definitely recommend a reusuable cup to my friends and family (and I have).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really love to hear your opinions, ideas, suggestions, experiences, and thoughts about reusable products. Please share with us!