Friday, January 25, 2013

Lily Cup Reusable Menstrual Cup Review


While searching through new YouTube videos about reusable menstrual products, I ran across a video for a cup called the LilyCup. The review was basically just showing the cup and the packaging, but it didn't really have any comments about the usage of the cup and how it compared to other reusable brands like the Lunette. I'm a pretty curious person and like to compare so I figured it'd be worth a shot to dive into the Lily Cup for a time or two.

The Lily Cup is very similar to that of the FemmyCycle since it has a built-in spill stopper ridge. While the ridge is much different than the FemmyCycle lid-type ridge, it does function the same to stop the fluid from leaking out during removal. I like the idea of a no-spill cup--especially when cleaning out my cup in public restrooms.

Another thing that the Lily Cup claims is unique is that it can be rolled into a smaller, tampon-like size for insertion. Personally, I don't like the idea of rolling up my menstrual cups. I typically do the punch-down fold--referred to as the half-v fold by the creators of LilyCup. Rolling the cup just seems harder for me to hold right when inserting it, but I'm sure some other women somewhere prefer it this way.

On first look, I noticed that the Lily Cup is designed much differently than any other menstrual cup I've seen. It doesn't have air holes for removal, has a slanted lip ridge, and, of course, has the lip on the end to stop the contents from spilling or leaking. The removal tab on the bottom is also much thicker than my Lunette and has more defined ridges to help for removal. I suppose the ridges help with removal since there are no holes to help with breaking the suction.

Insertion was not difficult and was similar to that of my Lunette as well. For me, removal also wasn't a big task, but I could see it possibly being more of a learning experience if I was in a rush to empty it. To break the seal isn't as difficult as I had imagined, but it definitely felt a little differently and I could feel the suction holding on a little stronger.

The most difficult thing with the LilyCup is that the ridge that helps the fluid from spilling out also seems to collect quite a bit under it. This makes cleaning more difficult, and I really dislike the idea that I might miss some cleaning some of it out. The lip does flip up a little but it doesn't stay up so it's harder to get everything cleaned well and see underneath. It is to be boiled to clean it but, still, you never know. I'm just not a fan of the thought of dried menstrual fluids under the rim of my cup.

So, overall, the cup is pretty decent but I won't be continuing to use it. I wouldn't really recommend it's usage either since there isn't anything unique enough about it to merit me giving a great review about it, but, ultimately, that's the decision of other ladies.

7 comments:

  1. The lilycup looks interesting, totally different to the mooncup which is what I use. Menstrual cups really are great!
    http://renovatinglpa.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Question, since you won't be using this brand any more, are you looking to resell yours (particularly size A)? It sounds like this one would work well for me but I can't find any resellers. Send me an email at brink(eighteen)22 at hotmail dot com and maybe we can work something out :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. why would you want a used menstrual cup? gross.

      Delete
    2. It's a great way to test a cup to see if it'll work for you and since you can boil them to clean them, I don't see why there is an issue.
      I have a used one in right now. :)

      Delete
  3. It’s a classic great for me to go to this blog site, it offers helpful suggestions snow ice machine

    ReplyDelete
  4. The removal tab on the bottom is also much thicker than my Lunette and has more defined ridges to help for removal. menstrual cup

    ReplyDelete
  5. my wife would certainly agree with you

    ReplyDelete

I'd really love to hear your opinions, ideas, suggestions, experiences, and thoughts about reusable products. Please share with us!