Saturday, January 19, 2013

FemmyCycle Reusable Menstrual Cup Review


Recently I found a new menstrual cup product on the market that is uniquely designed. While most menstrual cups work with suction, must be fully popped open, and are prone to spillage if tipped, the FemmyCycle creators have managed to design a product that avoids all of these issues. When I read that the FDA announced that is now accepted, safe, and available for sale in the U.S. I had to jump on it.

The entire structure of the cup is different than anything else I've seen. What makes the FemmyCycle most unique from other cups, such as the Lunette or the DivaCup, is that it has a flip-down top that prevents spillage. This means that during removal if you tip the cup you don't have to worry about dripping the contents on yourself, the floor, or anywhere other than the toilet bowl.

Because of the flip-down lid top design, the cup does not develop a strong suction that other cups utilize either. The design of the cup (much like a bulb with a u-shaped hook on the end to help retrieve it). This means that if the cup does not fully pop open to create a vacuum suction seal the opening remains circular and will still prevent leakage. With my Lunette I absolutely must have the entire cup fully opened or it will leak onto my clothes.

The cup is still comfortable, despite it's odd shape. The material is pretty thin so it moves well with my body. Also, even though there is no suction to hold the cup in, the shape helps it maintain it's position for my regular wear-time (10-ish hours on a regular day).

The only downside I see with this cup is that a woman must flip the lid outward to be able to fully empty to contents. This can be a little intimidating to some. For example, when using my Lunette, I remove the cup and pour it into the toilet bowl without ever looking into it; however, with the FemmyCycle you have to slid your finger down in or near the contents of the cup before being able to empty it.

It was also noted on the Femmycycle website that this cup is not designed to withstand years of usage. Many other cup brands often recommend a usage rate of between 5 and 10 years. Femmycycle notes that this cup should be replaced once a year since the material is thinner and, thus, less durable. Apparently it doesn't really resist tears like other brands. Just as a side note, the FemmyCycle runs about as much as any other menstrual cup even though it doesn't tend to last as long.

Overall, I think I prefer my Lunette better than the FemmyCycle. While you don't need to worry about suction or spillage with the FemmyCycle, I can avoid looking into a cup of my menstrual fluid (and putting my finger into it to flip up a lid before emptying the fluid). This means I can pull my cup out and empty it directly into the toilet.

I'd still totally recommend any woman considering this Femmycycle to give the cup a try. It might just be what you're looking for, and it might be what ends up helping you find the right cup for you. While it really just wasn't my thing, it has some great pluses to it and I see it as a positive menstrual experience.

If anyone else has tried this new Femmycycle cup I would strongly encourage you to comment and let me know. I'm interested in what other experiences are and how others feel about having to put their finger into the cup to flip the rim out.

17 comments:

  1. Please tell me if large clots are/ would be an issue with this cup? Can it block opening or will it be difficult to get the clot out because of the lid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really have a problem with clots passing into the cup since the silicon is pretty smooth. I suppose if you had very large blood clots during your cycle then perhaps it could potentially cause it to create a blockage for the Femmycycle cup but I don't think it would be common. I would really worry too much about clots causing issues.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I'm wearing the femmycycke and actually it feels great. Clots are anyway wet and they slide inside the cup and outside. I did not experienced any problem washing it or putting inside my finger to open the lid. What is true is that Femmycycle is so clean and when you take it out you see very well your liquids...not only blood...it was the first time I experienced this as with others cup just spilled and rinse out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this cup to be a total waste of time, effort and money. I tried it for two days and it leaked the whole time. Good thing I wore a pad as I found more on that than the tiny amount that collected in the cup. I tried to position it in various different ways as I thought that would help but to no avail.

    I am not new to cups and tried a different brand after two days of struggling with this one and it worked perfectly. I suppose each to their own, this one didn't open up enough to stop a huge amount of leakage. I think the shape and material have a lot to do with the ineffectiveness. I don't recommend it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my third cycle using this. It is messy. Be careful it doesn't pop with blood spatter everywhere! I am wearing two pads because it misses more than it catches and I have to get in the shower to change this every half hour or so (because of the mess). I so wanted this thing to work. I'm going to see whether I can find the insert directions to make sure I'm using it correctly.

    On the positive side, it's comfortable. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a first time cup user in my 40's. I have had two children via c/s and have a very heavy flow. Tampons were causing me severe cramping and rectal pressure. I had to change them every two to three hrs on average. I would have just used pads but am allergic to most of the super wicking materials. After much research I choose the FemmyCycle.

    On first inspection I was a little daunted by the size, but after a few practice runs, some bawdy comments by my husband of 25yrs, I managed a good fold with comfortable insertion. Amazing! Once the sweet spot was found (low in the vagina so the removal ring is just within the introitus) no pain, no pressure, no feeling like I was being impaled upon sitting like with a tampon.

    I have had no leakage. Leakage was a major problem with tampons (regardless of size, position, or time after insert). I change the cup about 4 times a day as I bleed very heavily and like to remove the cup when it is about 2/3s full. I find it less messy than removing a tampon, and as a Gyn Nurse I find the ability to measure flow and see the consistency and color a plus for monitoring my Gyn health.

    Another plus, no menstrual odor with using the cup, just remove, dump, rinse with a dot of unscented pure and basic type soap, and reinsert. I've been using the cup for 4 months now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You stated that The only downside I see with this cup is that a woman must flip the lid outward to be able to fully empty to contents. This can be a little intimidating to some..
    You do not have to insert your finger to open the lid , You can use a Q-tip to open the lid without using your finger.
    The FemmyCycle provide two cups so it should last more than two years.
    If a woman has yeast infection some yeast organisms may live on silicone no matter how you clean it. It is not a good idea to use any intimate device for 5-10 years. It is more hygienic to change the Cup more frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been using the FemmyCycle for about 8 months, and it works perfectly. I had not tried other cups before buying the FemmyCycle. The first time using it I had some problems with leakage, but after I found the right way to insert it, it has worked perfectly. It's easy to get in place, it's very comfortable (I don't feel it at all), I have no leakage, and it's easy to remove. I empty and clean the cup every 12-24 hours, and honestly don't find using my finger to open the lid any more intimidating than handling a bloodied tampon.

    Would definitely recommend the FemmyCycle cup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is this even a menstrual cup?
    You have to buy 2 in a pack (not very environmentally friendly), have to use an antibacterial fluid to clean it properly (instead of using quick and easy steam cleaning for a couple of minutes in the microwave or boil it in water - a lot cheaper and more environmentally friendly instead of pouring the used antibacterial fluid in the sewers afterwards, since it kills also good bacteria).
    Finally you cannot use it for more than one (1) year.

    This goes against everything that menstrual cups are about: Using the best long term solution for your body, your wallet and the environment as a whole.

    Also : All menstrual cups are "spill free" once you learn how to empty them. It takes a couple of days, but then you get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly me, I thought what menstrual cups were about was dealing with the menstrual cycle. Not everyone uses them for environmental reasons.

      Delete
    2. You don't have to use a special wash (I haven't even seen a special FemmyCycle wash for sale..?) to clean it anymore than you need to use the special wash DivaCup makes to clean DivaCups. FemmyCycle is made out of medical grade silicone just like almost every other cup. You may wash it how you please. It's not made of spiders' webs and fairy dust.
      You also do not have to buy it in a 2-pack. That is called their "starter kit" and I believe it contains both their normal cup and low cervix cup for fluctuating. You may buy any of their cups individually.
      Lastly, you need to replace any cup eventually. Whatever you're using is not made for indefinite use. The silicone degrades with wear.

      Delete
    3. Further, how is a 2-pack so disastrous to the environment anyway? They must be replaced - as all cups must - so you have another one there when you need to replace instead of having to go out and buy it... o.O Just saving you money in the future.

      Delete
  9. I'm on my fourth or fifth cycle using the femmycycle. When I get it to work properly, I love it. I have had some leak issues though, but think I may have eliminated most of these issues by learning to insert it properly most of the time now (finally!). I'm kind of wary of trying it out in a pool or without a liner though, "just-in-case". Also, I don't know what the trick is, but getting it out is PAINFUL. The videos on the website aren't much help as they show pulling it right out with no problems. I haven't read of anyone really having this problem and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on my first cycle using it, and when it "pops open" (which I know it actually doesn't do) and works, it's amazing. When it doesn't, (and I haven't yet figured out how to make that happen every time), then it sucks. The cup is basically blocking the flow until there's too much and then it goes around the cup.

      Delete
  10. if you cannot control your pelvic muscles and relax. Each insertion/removal can be different from the previous one, menstrual cup usa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just tried this for the first time, and I am amazed. I don't feel any cramps. I use my muscles to help insert it as well as using my muscles to help push it out, because it goes in pretty far for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Being a working woman, I was going through serious period trouble, especially concerning the use of the right period product. While reaching this blog, I came across a number of new period products that are really amazing and so are their prices. I have made the order and will suggest others as well. Take a look at these products and start using it.

    Menstural Cup Manufacturer | Buy Lunette Cup | How To Use Sckoon Cup Menstural Cup | How To Use Tampax Menstural Cup | How To Use V Cup Menstural Cup | Period Panty & Period Underwear | Reusable & Washable Sanitary Pads or Napkins

    ReplyDelete

I'd really love to hear your opinions, ideas, suggestions, experiences, and thoughts about reusable products. Please share with us!